Vail Mountain Hiking by Jack Affleck
It’s time to plan an escape. But we have to think carefully about where and how in this summer of Covid-19. Escape to the mountains; it’s easy to social distance in the fresh mountain air and Vail Resorts has established guidelines to ensure guests can adventure comfortably and safely.
Breckenridge Gold Runner Alpine Coaster by Jack Affleck
In Colorado, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Crested Butte are open for hiking and scenic lift rides. In addition, ride the alpine coasters at Breckenridge and Vail. Keystone’s golf course is open, as well.
Further west, ride the gondola at Heavenly Ski Resort taking in the magnificent view of beautiful Lake Tahoe.
Heavenly Lake Tahoe _Jack Affleck
East coasters can escape by car to Vail Resort’s Vermont mountains. Stowe’s auto toll road is open along with chairlift and gondola rides.
Okemo Valley Golf Club
Okemo’s mountain coaster and chairlift rides are open and the golf course is in full swing. At Mount Snow you can hike and enjoy the lovely Deerfield Valley while staying at The Grand Summit Hotel.
Mount Snow summit hiking
In response to COVID-19, Vail Resorts has redefined the resort experience to prioritize the health and safety of its guests and employees.
• On-mountain, the vast outdoor settings make physical distancing easy. In the base areas and other locations where it’s more difficult to do so, signage and decals ensure guests remain six feet apart.
• Guests are required to wear face coverings when loading and unloading chairlifts, riding in gondolas or bubble chairs, on alpine slides and mountain coasters, and at indoor resort facilities. Guests are strongly encouraged to bring their own face coverings, but resorts will have them upon request, subject to availability. Employees are required to wear face coverings at all times.
• Plexiglass barriers have been installed in areas where physical distancing is not possible, including at points of purchase.
• Capacity of lifts and gondolas have been reduced to allow for physical distancing. Guests will only be allowed on lifts and gondolas with travelers in their party.
• Employees may limit the number of guests in any area of the resort to ensure proper physical distancing (e.g. indoor spaces, parking lots, common spaces, etc.).
Enhanced Cleaning & Sanitization:
• High-touch surfaces are frequently cleaned and disinfected with
EPA-approved products that kill the COVID-19 virus.
• Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting take place daily in the gondola cabins, frequently throughout the day in public restrooms and after each use of the alpine slide and mountain coaster carts.
• Hand sanitizing stations are provided throughout the resort. Frequent handwashing is required of employees.
• All transactions are cashless including lift and gondola rides, mountain activities, on-mountain grab ‘n go food as well as at
Vail Resorts’ lodging, retail and rental locations.
• To ensure physical distancing, dining facilities are operating at reduced capacity with updated floor plans in common areas. Outdoor seating is available.
Vail Resorts continually reviews and updates safety policies to adhere to the most up-to-date practices. Plan your safe ‘Great Escape’ at: snow.com/info/summer-2020-update
All transactions are cashless including lift and gondola rides, mountain activities, on-mountain grab ‘n go food as well as at Vail Resorts’ lodging, retail and rental locations.
By Rich Silver